Were you amongst the people looking for a Coke bottle with your name on it a couple of years ago? Do you rush to Youtube every time there is a new iPhone release? From a marketer’s perspective, that’s the dream, to get people so excited about your brand so that they will like and share the content you promote.
However multinational giants like Apple and Coca-Cola only make up 2% of the companies worldwide. The other 98% are small and medium enterprises (SME). These companies obviously don’t have six figure budgets to push their marketing initiatives. So how do they get people to engage with them?
Here’s a short guide with easy tips for you to start boosting user engagement with your SME.
Research what works best for your business
Research is at the base of every successful marketing strategy. You can spend a million dollars to make a video of your company but if you don’t know who to show it to, it’ll be money gone to waste.
Start your research by understanding who your prospective customers are. In this article by BuiltVisible, they explain how to create customer personas. Basically, you want to gather as much detail as possible about your target audience. This includes both demographics like location and gender, and personality traits, such as being conservative or adventurous with their purchases.
Once you’ve gathered enough data to make a clear picture of the target you want to reach, go on to make a competitor analysis. Google the keywords that are most relevant for your business and see who the top results are. Then check out their social media presence, the kind of content they produce, and other sites that mention them. You can use tools like Ahrefs and BuzzSumo to research keywords, mentions, backlinks and more.
Invest in quality content to increase user engagement
If you want people to give you their time and attention, you need to offer them something of value first. For every email you write, think about the persona you defined on step one and tailor your message to them.
Decide what types of content best fit your product and your goals. It usually makes sense to explore a variety of formats, such as blog articles, case studies, newsletters and others.
Don’t limit yourself to written content. Infographics are great at showing numbers in a fun way. Video can help you to tell a compelling story. A hot trend for 2018 is the use of 3D animations to display a product from every angle, including the inside composition. You can see a great example here. Or check out this article to understand how animations are different from video content.
Measure your results and optimize them
Once you’ve established a strategy and produced value-adding content for different platforms, it’s time to start measuring your results.
Set up an account with Google Analytics to keep track of traffic to your website. Monitor which pieces of content people look at when they visit your homepage. Don’t forget to respond to users who engage with your company on social media or through your website. Here you can read more about How to measure performance to improve your content marketing.
Finally, use the knowledge you’ve gained to change the weak aspects of your campaign and do more of what worked well. You might need to rethink the tone of voice you’re using, optimise for SEO, use more engaging formats or a combination of things.
What do you do to engage your audience? Click the buttons bellow and share your success stories with us!
Written by Nathalie Bassanesi
Nathalie Bassanesi is a content marketer based in Denmark. She helps companies increase conversions by writing and amplifying quality content. She recently transitioned into Marketing after 8 years of teaching, but has already built a large portfolio in different industries.